Last updated on April 22nd, 2016 at 06:42 am
The biggest sign of a good hotelier is the ability to spot your mistakes, correct quickly and not repeat the mistakes. These are some of the most common mistakes made by New Hoteliers
- Just because you exist, doesn’t mean they will come
Just because you’ve built the hotel – don’t expect guests to turn up. Especially if you have a restaurant – throw a party for the launch. Make sure you do a Press Release. Word of mouth is great and getting the city to talk about you is very important.
- You didn’t do your Math homework.
Your costs should work out. Make sure you’re selling a room at a price and making profits and your food cost should never be higher than 20-35%.
- Not enough cooks in the kitchen
A guest has to be looked after from the word ‘go’. Staffing well is extremely important, especially at the beginning of a new venture.
- You don’t have systems in place
- You’re an absentee owner
Initially, you cannot allow another person to run a hotel or even a restaurant for you while to sit relaxed and gain profits out of it. Being present is very important for hotelier, a first time hotelier could take 2-3 years to get used to his first project and then possibly add a second hotel to his / her portfolio.
- Online Presence – Get a website, Enlist your self on Online Travel Agencies (Example : Agoda, Expedia, MakeMyTrip, Booking.com, etc), Register yourself as a business on Google Maps.
Hope you liked our list of Common Mistakes made by New Hoteliers